Monday, March 26, 2012

The Beginning...

Hello friends. I thought that today would be an appropriate day to write my first post for Creations by CassieLynn. Today marks the 13th anniversary of my Grandma's passing. I miss her everyday and tears fill my eyes when I think about her.

My Grandma G in 1972.

Now, you may be wondering why a creative blog is starting on a sad note...the reason is that she really started my passion for a particular creative hobby, crochet. It was my Grandma who first tried to teach me to crochet. It wasn't that she wasn't a good teacher but more so that I tend to get frustrated very easily and gave up quickly. I think that I was about 10 years old when she gave me my first lesson. We started things off with a granny square. If you asked me now I would say that this is one of the easiest things to crochet, but back then it was my nemesis. I just could not figure it out. So, while my Grandma was still here, the only things I ever knew how to crochet were just rows and rows of single crochets...things like scarves and baby blankets.

After my Grandma passed away, I was 15 at the time, my Grandpa gave me all of my Grandma's crochet hooks and yarn. I knew that I had to perfect my skills and keep my Grandma's memory alive through my crochet. I still crocheted the same things for a while but just tried to perfect those stitches. It wasn't until I was in college that I really took crocheting seriously and really started learn more advanced patterns and stitches.

I taught myself everything I know about crochet by reading books and watching numerous tutorials on You Tube. Technology is a wonderful thing! Now I can crochet just about anything, although my favorite things to make are amigurumi. I have been crocheting these for a few years now and am getting pretty comfortable with them. I feel like my next step is to try my hand at pattern writing and come up with my own cute patterns. Without my Grandma, I would have never picked up a crochet hook. I only wish she could see the things I crochet now! I love you Grandma!

This pattern is from Ana Paula's book Amigurumi Toy Box: Cute Crocheted Friends
Crochet is not my only creative hobby which is why I opted for my blog to be called "Creations" and not "Crochet" by Cassie Lynn. I am in love with anything crafty. I am a proud Cricut owner and love paper crafting. I also enjoy painting, sketching and doodling, and I am by trade a graphic designer. (My blog was designed by yours truly!) So...this is my beginning on a wonderfully creative journey with all of you and I can not wait to see where this road will lead to.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment